Experience the Lombard art, culture and traditions in the capital of the Duchy
Two days tour to discover the Lombard heritage of Spoleto made up of monuments and archaeological remains but also of culinary and handicraft traditions
- Arrival in Spoleto and check-in at the hotel. Visit to Palazzo Mauri an elegant XVII century noble palace, today the Municipal Library, where the Lombard info point is located. Visit to the ancient Lombard mosaics found on the floor during the last palace restorations. Visit, in Palazzo Pianciani, to another spectacular Lombard mosaic that has recently come to light. Short walk to the scenic Piazza Duomo and visit to the Cathedral and its traces of Lombard heritage in its bell tower. The cathedral contains many outstanding works of art, including the apse frescoes by Filippo Lippi and an autograph letter of St. Francis of Assisi to Friar Leone.
- Stop in the city centre for a “Lombard age” lunch to experience the eating habits and flavours of these ancient inhabitants of the city.
- Afternoon visit to the National Museum of the Duchy of Spoleto in the Rocca Albornoziana, a great experience discovering its ancient medieval architecture and its rich exhibition of the Lombard Age, where we will also admire one of the best views of Spoleto Valley. The high position of the fortress dominates the enchanting beauty of the surroundings.
Possibility to participate in a workshop experiencing the ancient Lombard manufacturing techniques.
- Dinner at the hotel and overnight stay.
- Breakfast and morning visit to the Church of San Ponziano , where the relics of the Saint protector of Spoleto are preserved, and Basilica of San Salvatore, one of the main Lombard monuments of Central Italy and a World Heritage Site since 2011.
- Stop for lunch in the city centre tasting typical dishes and free time for shopping of handicraft and food & wines productions.
- Afternoon visit to the Churh of San Gregorio Maggiore a masterpiece of Umbrian Romanesque architecture, which retains an interesting pluteo of the Lombard Stop to admire the “Teodolapio”, so called in honor of one of the Lombard Dukes of Spoleto, the only monumental sculpture in Italy by Alexander Calder, designed and donated to the city for the 1962 edition of Festival dei Due Mondi.
Itinerary by foot
Summary information on accessibility *
The tour through the historical centre of Spoleto can be difficult for wheelchair users and, in some points, for people with walking difficulties. It is advisable to contact the Tour Operator in advance to have directions on how to access the restricted traffic area and reach the points of interest by car.
San Ponziano and San Salvatore are outside the historic centre and reaching them on foot requires a walk of about half an hour down and uphill. It is advisable for people with walking difficulties to reach them by car.
Price per person (average price, medium-high season). The final price should be agreed with the TO from time to time
- with at least 25 participants: € 110 in 3* hotel / € 145 in 4* hotel
- with at least 15 participants: € 130 in 3* hotel / € 160 in 4* hotel
- with at least 7 participants: € 160 in 3* hotel / € 195 in 4* hotel
- individuals (less than 7 persons): by request, special arrangements
Price includes: tourist guide, 1 HB hotel accommodation in twin or double room, 1 lunch, 1 “Lombard age” lunch, entrance ticket for National Museum of the Duchy of Spoleto, including VAT.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the crypt is temporarily closed to visit.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the interiors of the Basilica are temporarily closed to visitors. They can only be admired through the front portal.
* Detailed information on the accessibility features of the Spoleto urban path and the Lombard points of interest can be consulted on the ALL project website in the descriptive page of the itineraries: www.acrosslombardslands.eu/itineraries
Tasting Travel di Daniela Cittadoni
via Plinio il Giovane,7 – 06049 – Spoleto PG Italy
Tel: 0039 348 8620878
Skype: daniela.cittadoni (spoleto – Italy)