A nourishment for the soul and the body
Two days tour from Spoleto to the discovery of Monteluco, site of ancient hermitages, and San Pietro in Valle Abbey, centre of monasticism in the times of Lombards….with a “gourmet” surprise
- Arrival in Spoleto and check-in at the hotel. Visit to the Church of San Ponziano , where the relics of the Saint protector of Spoleto are preserved, and Basilica of San Salvatore, one of the main Lombard monuments of Central Italy and a World Heritage Site since 2011.
- Departure to Monteluco, which in the fifth century became the centre of one of the largest hermitic movements of the time, and stop for lunch at a local restaurant.
- In the afternoon walk in the Sacred Wood with its many hermitages and caves and visit to the Abbey of San Giuliano, which became a Benedictine abbey in the 6th century under the Lombards Dukes who enriched it with various donations.
- Return to Spoleto. Dinner at the hotel and overnight stay.
- Breakfast and departure to Ferentillo. Driving along the enchanting Valnerina, visitors will discover the lush Nera River and its fortified villages. Visit to the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle the most important religious centres of Lombard Duchy with its marvellous views and one of the most important Lombard artefacts of the area: the Ursus altar.
- Lombard age lunch in a nearby restaurant with a rich menu of dishes based on the products available in the Early Middle Ages and on the Lombard eating habits, a great gastronomic experience.
Itinerary by foot and by bus/minibus or private car
Summary information on accessibility*
The walk in the Sacred Wood can be difficult for wheelchair users and for people with walking difficulties. Therefore, it is advisable to contact the Tour Operator in advance so that all the necessary arrangements can be made.
Price per person (average price, medium-high season). The final price should be agreed with the TO from time to time
- with at least 25 participants: € 130 in 3* hotel / € 160 in 4* hotel
- with at least 15 participants: € 145 in 3* hotel / € 175 in 4* hotel
- with at least 7 participants: € 195 in 3* hotel / € 225 in 4* hotel
- individuals (less than 7 persons with their own car): by request, special arrangements
Price includes: tourist guide, transport, 1 HB hotel accommodation in twin or double room, 1 lunch, 1 “Lombard age” lunch, including VAT.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the crypt is temporarily closed to visitors.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the interiors of the Basilica are temporarily closed to visitors. They can only be admired through the front portal.
* Detailed information on the accessibility features of the Spoleto urban path and the Lombard points of interest can be consulted on the ALL project website in the descriptive page of the itineraries: www.acrosslombardslands.eu/itineraries
Tasting Travel di Daniela Cittadoni
via Plinio il Giovane,7 – 06049 – Spoleto PG Italy
Tel: 0039 348 8620878
Skype: daniela.cittadoni (spoleto – Italy)