GRAND TOUR OF THE DUCHY OF SPOLETO
Three days tour discovering the Spoleto Valley and Valnerina experiencing their Lombard heritage and visiting the ancient capital of Lombard Duchy, Spoleto.
- Arrive in Trevi and check-in at the hotel. Morning visit to the Museum of San Francesco: visit to its Antiquarium where archaeological remains and funerary objects found in the nearby necropolis of Pietrarossa are exhibited and visits to its Museum of the Olive Civilization, an interesting exhibition of farming culture and olive tree traditions.
- Downhill to the valley through a wonderful landscape of olive groves and visit of the church of Santa Maria of Pietrarossa where a Lombard necropolis dating to the sixth and seventh century was discovered.
- Short stop in Bovara di Trevi countryside, visiting the Emilian Olive tree, that with its 1.700 years is one of the oldest in Italy.
- Arrive in Campello sul Clitunno and visit to Clitunno Temple a small chapel in the shape of a Corinthian Temple of V century A.D. considered one of the oldest proto-Christian temples in Europe and a World Heritage site since 2011.
- Stop for lunch and afternoon visit to the scenic surroundings of the Clitunno Springs, one of the main attractions of the naturalistic landscape of Umbria, celebrated in antiquity by Pliny, Virgil and Propertius.
- Pleasant visit to a local olive-oil mill and olive oil tasting with bruschetta.
- Return to Trevi, dinner at the hotel and overnight.
- Breakfast and departure to Ferentillo. Driving along the enchanting Valnerina, visitors will discover the lush Nera river and its fortified villages. Visit to the Abbey of San Pietro in Valle the most important religious centres of Lombard Duchy with its marvellous views and one of the most important Lombard artefacts of the area: the Ursus altar.
- Stop for lunch tasting local products.
- Departure to Spoleto and visit of the National Museum of the Duchy of Spoleto in the Rocca Albornoziana, a great experience discovering the ancient medieval architecture and its exhibition of the Lombard Age, where we will admire one of the best views of Spoleto Valley. The high position of the fortress dominates the enchanting beauty of the surroundings. Visit to the Churh of San Gregorio Maggiore Church a masterpiece of Umbrian Romanesque architecture, which retains an interesting pluteo of the Lombard Stop to admire the “Teodolapio”, so called in honor of one of the Lombard Dukes of Spoleto, the only monumental sculpture in Italy by Alexander Calder.
- Dinner at the hotel and overnight.
- Breakfast and morning visit to Palazzo Mauri an elegant XVII century noble palace, today the Municipal Library where the Lombard info point is located. Visit of the ancient Lombard mosaics found on the floor by the last palace restorations. Visit, in Palazzo Pianciani, to another spectacular Lombard mosaic that has recently come to light. Short walk to the scenic Piazza Duomo and visit to the Cathedral and its traces of Lombard heritage in its bell tower. The cathedral contains many outstanding works of art, including the apse frescoes by Filippo Lippi and an autograph letter of St. Francis of Assisi to Friar Leone.
The centre of Spoleto offers one of the most enchanting walks in the millenary history of Umbria with its ancient architecture and perfect symbiosis with nature.
- Stop for lunch in the city centre tasting typical dishes and free time for shopping of handicraft and food & wines productions.
- Afternoon visit to Church of San Ponziano , where the relics of the Saint protector of Spoleto are preserved, and Basilica of San Salvatore, one of the main Lombard monuments of Central Italy and a World Heritage Site since 2011.
Itinerary by foot and by bus/minibus or private car
Summary information on accessibility*
The tour through the historical centre of Spoleto can be difficult for wheelchair users and, in some points, for people with walking difficulties. It is advisable to contact the Tour Operator in advance to have directions on how to access the restricted traffic area and reach the points of interest by car.
San Ponziano and San Salvatore are outside the historic centre and reaching them on foot requires a walk of about half an hour down and uphill. It is advisable for people with walking difficulties to reach them by car.
Clitunno Temple is not fully accessible to wheelchair users. They can reach the outside area with some difficulty and the help of a companion (there are a threshold of 1,5 cm, a step 11 cm high and a ramp of 17% slope) and admire the temple from outside but cannot access it inside. There are 12 steps with handrail to enter the temple.
Price per person (average price, medium-high season). The final price should be agreed with the TO from time to time
- with at least 25 participants: € 200 in 3* hotel / € 270 in 4* hotel
- with at least 15 participants: € 230 in 3* hotel / € 300 in 4* hotel
- with at least 7 participants: € 310 in 3* hotel / € 390 in 4* hotel
- individuals (less than 7 persons with their own car): by request, special arrangements
Price includes: tourist guide, transport, 2 HB hotel accommodation in twin or double room, 2 lunches, 1 “Lombard age” lunch, entrance tickets for the museums, Clitunno Springs and Clitunno Temple, oil tasting, including VAT.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the crypt is temporarily closed to visitors.
 Following the damage suffered in the recent earthquake, the interiors of the Basilica are temporarily closed to visitors. They can only be admired through the front portal
* Detailed information on the accessibility features of the Spoleto urban path and the Lombard points of interest can be consulted on the ALL project website in the descriptive page of the itineraries: www.acrosslombardslands.eu/itineraries
Tasting Travel di Daniela Cittadoni
via Plinio il Giovane,7 – 06049 – Spoleto PG Italy
Tel: 0039 348 8620878
Skype: daniela.cittadoni (spoleto – Italy)