Visit the remains of the Lombard heritage in different places in Slovenia
Four days dedicated to Lombard heritage in Slovenia: Ljubljana, Celje, Šentjur pri Celju – Rifnik, Kranj, Bled.
- Arrive in Ljubljana and hotel check-in.
- After breakfast we drive to Šentjur pri Celju and Rifnik. First we hike up the Rifnik hill to see the archaeological park in which the Roman and Lombard heritage remains have been preserved. There is a great view over Šentjur pri Celju, a small town in the vicinity.
- Next, we stop at Šentjur pri Celju and visit the Treasure of Rifnik Museum and its large collection of artefacts from the Early Stone Age to the arrival of the Slavs. Another old town, historically strongly connected to Šentjur, is Celje, where we stop for lunch, tasting local products and typical dishes. After lunch one can enjoy a walk through the centre of Celje.
- Return to Ljubljana in late afternoon. Dinner at the hotel and overnight.
- After breakfast and a half-hour drive we arrive to the centre of Kranj, where we visit the Regional Museum of Gorenjska. It contains a rich collection of Lombard weapons including a unique Lombard suit of armour. Then we drive to the Bled Castle, where an exhibition of every-day life of the Lombards is presented in its Museum. After enjoying the breath-taking views over Lake Bled, we enjoy our lunch in one of the restaurants at Bled, tasting local products and typical dishes.
- Some free time after lunch may be spent walking by the lake, relaxing or shopping. We drive back to Ljubljana. We visit the National Museum of Slovenia, where the Lombard heritage collection is
- Free time to visit the beautiful and lively historical centre of Ljubljana and do some shopping.
- Dinner at the hotel and overnight.
Summary information on accessibility*
The path to Rifnik is steep, covered with grass and with small stones all over and can be slippery. Slow walk up the hill takes half an hour from the meeting point. Archaeological park is not accessible with a car. Archaeological park is mainly covered with grass and stones. There are few benches at the top of the hill. However, if you are a wheelchair user and would like to take this trip, please notify tour operator in advance so that all the necessary arrangements can be made.
Museum of Rifnik treasure is accessible by wheelchair users and other visitors with reduced mobility. The exhibition is not adapted to sensory impaired persons.
Restaurants in Celje don’t have wheelchair user accessible toilet.
National Museum of Slovenia is fully accessible, also the Museum of Gorenjska. The exhibitions are not adopted to the sensory impaired persons. In this case guiding is necessary. Museum at Bled Castle is not accessible for wheelchair users or other persons with reduced mobility. Path to the Bled Castle is steep, sleepy and covered with bigger stones. There are steps (at least 50) to reach the entrance of the museum. Yard at the castle is at different levels.
Price per person:
- with at least 45 participants: € 430 eur
- with at least 25 participants: € 457 eur
- with at least 8 participants: € 503 eur
- individuals(less than 8 persons): by request, special arrangements
Price includes: accommodation in 3* hotel in twin or double room for 3 nights, tourist guide 2 full days-by the program, transport 2 days, 2x lunch, all entrance tickets and VAT.
* Detailed information on the accessibility features of the Lombard points of interest can be consulted on the ALL project website in the descriptive page of the itineraries: